Search This Blog

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Lake Rock Shoe Rack

 
I grew up in Western Montana and I still have family that remains there.  Last Summer we had to opportunity to join my parents and siblings along with their families in Montana.  One "blast from the past" was visiting Flathead Lake, more specifically, Trinity Lutheran Camp, near Big Fork.  I spent countless carefree weeks at this camp and along the gorgeous shores of Flathead.
    Here is a childhood photo circa 1981 (one of the few swimsuit pictures I'll post of myself):



The stones in this area are brilliant colors with interesting patterns. They are usually buffed smooth from glaciers and water.

 
 
My relatives usually scoop up a few handfuls of these stones so I can create crafts with them.
    In this case, I chose to create a bring-nature-inside style of furniture.  To make this project I used several slats of old heavy boards.  I cut tree limbs into 4 inch segments to serve as the pillars, and used a screw gun to attach the pieces. Finally came the fun part!  I glued the rocks along the edges to create a rugged boarder.  I coated each rock with clear nail polish to bring out the color and character.  The clear nail polish also makes the rocks appear wet, as though a wave had just crashed over them.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment