Search This Blog

Monday, July 24, 2017

Summer Watering, Part 2

In a previous post (my very first one, I believe), I launched the idea of using frozen water bottles to keep your plants from scorching and wilting during the hot summer months.  However, one issue I came across is that dirt sticks to the stakes (even if you rinse them) and tends to leave quite a mess in the freezer.
   Determined not to be defeated, I modified it (which was second nature, because that's what teachers do, right?!)  I removed and discarded the soiled stakes from the bottles and refroze them.  I then saved some wider aluminum cans and spray painted then coordinating colors.
Finally, I hammered nail holes in the bottom to allow the water to seep through as it melts. 
 

 I now leave the "base" (the can) in the flowers and only collect the bottles to refill and refreeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment